This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on board a Royal Air Maroc 737 departing from Frankfurt (FRA) earlier this week had a scary experience while taking off. As you can see in this installment of crazy aviation videos, the 737 rolls down the runway but doesn’t have enough acceleration to take off, so when the nose lifts the tail of the plane almost scrapes the ground. The plane then just barely gets off the ground but doesn’t have enough lift to keep climbing, so it comes back down to the runway at an even higher speed. After being completely on the ground again, the plane has enough acceleration to finally take off safely.
It’s unclear what really happened during this incident, but several Twitter users have speculated that the issue was caused by miscalculating the weight on board the aircraft.
— Phil Derner, Jr. (@PhilDernerJr) August 25, 2016
Fortunately, the pilots got the situation under control and completed the takeoff safely.
What do you think caused this botched takeoff?
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.