Are You the Perfect Seatmate? If So, Fly First Class With Me on the Star Mega Do 3!
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To me, one of the most interesting parts of flying is the seatmate. There’s something unique (and strange) about sitting next to someone in a metal tube for hours and we’ve all heard (and experienced) our fair share of horror stories. In fact, on my flight to Mauritius this week, my seatmate was pretty bad- he was unaware of his surroundings and spilled his drink while getting up from his seat, he put his stinky feet way up on the seat in front of him and he coughed on me all night in his sleep.
However, I’ve had a lot of really good experiences on planes too. I’ve met some very close friends on flights, which isn’t a surprise since I think I’m naturally pre-disposed towards liking fellow travelers. And now, I’m in search of another great seatmate to join me on the Star Alliance Mega Do 3.
To thank my loyal readers, I’m giving away a frequent flyer’s dream prize: A first-class ticket and hotel accommodation to come along with me on the Star Alliance Megado 3 this September!
The winner will spend four days and three nights with me flying first-class on all flights between North America’s Star Alliance hubs of Chicago, Montreal and Denver aboard a privately chartered Continental Boeing 737-900ER; staying at a Hyatt property in each of the cities we visit (your own room, of course); participating in all the amazing experiences that the Star Alliance is putting together for us including tours of Bombardier and Lockheed Martin; and hobnobbing with some of the savviest frequent flyers in the skies and executives from the airlines and Hyatt Hotels. Dates: September 7-10, 2011 (see full program schedule below).
Best of all, you’ll be earning elite qualifying miles and points on either Lufthansa or United (up to 9,440 EQM plus regular elite bonuses), and will receive Hyatt Diamond status valid until 2/2013– which I love and wrote about here (if you’re already a Diamond, there will be special gifts for you instead). The prize is valued at $2,084.
The prize covers the cost of the first class seat, hotel stays and any meals/coffee while we are together during the trip. Any auction purchases, souvenirs, hotel incidentals or other personal expenses are your responsibility.
What’s not included?
You must get yourself to Chicago on September 7th by 6pm for the start of the festivities and get yourself home from Denver after the event. The ARV of the trip is $2,084, so you will be responsible for paying any taxes. In the end, this trip will require a decent outlay of personal time and possibly money (if you need help using your miles to get to/from Chicago and Denver, I can certainly assist), so please only enter if you understand the commitment and really want to attend. It is going to be a great time and I promise I am a good seatmate!
I’ll also be blogging about the experience, so you will be required to sign a release form and be willing to be featured on the blog. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to comment below or email me.
Eligibility: Limited to US residents over 18 who have a valid passport. I’m sorry non-US blog readers- I love you, but this one has some legal/tax stuff I can’t get around! You can still win the other prizes, so feel free to participate.
How to Enter:
1) Follow me on Twitter and send me a Tweet on why you are a great seatmate. At the end of your Tweet include the hash-tag #greatseatmate so I can easily sort through the entries. If you don’t have a Twitter account, it only takes a minute to sign up here, but familiarize yourself with the Direct Message feature, because that’s how I’ll contact you if you win a prize.
2) “Llike” me on Facebook write on The Points Guy’s wall about why you would be the perfect seat-mate for me on our whirlwind points-earning trip. Click here to sign-up for Facebook.
I do not sell information gleaned from either Twitter or Facebook. I simply want to increase my social media presence, which is an important thing for all bloggers.
You have from now until 11:59pm EDT on Tuesday, July 19, to enter, then I’ll choose the winner at random on Wednesday, July 20. There is a limit of 5 entries per day per Facebook and Twitter account. Please don’t SPAM!
If you want to join in the fun, but won’t be able to attend the main event, feel free to comment below on your thoughts about great seatmates or just let me know in your Tweet/Wall post that you can’t go and I’ll still consider you for some other prizes, including TPG VIP memberships and other assorted points giveaways.
If you want to have fun and write about what makes a bad seat-mate, I have several gag gifts from my recent trip to Tokyu Hands that I’ll be giving away to the people who make me laugh the most. Just hashtag your Tweet #badseatmate.
You can learn more about the Star Mega Do 3 here and find all the details plus contest rules below. I’m trying to have fun with this one, so if all goes smoothly, expect more contests and giveaways in the future.
THE OFFICIAL PROGRAM IS STILL IN PROGRESS:
Wednesday September 7th
6PM The United management and Hyatt management welcomes everyone at the Park Hyatt Chicago.
930PM transport to the official SMD3 hotel Hyatt Regency O’Hare
Thursday September 8th
7AM Diamond Breakfast at the Hyatt Regency O’Hare
730AM-8AM Shuttle service to Terminal 1, O’Hare. United behind the scenes tour at O’Hare.
1045AM The world second greatest magician Al James puts on a show at the C RCC, send off Champagne party.
1130AM Boarding of Star Mega DOs 3rd charter CO1904 starts at the C gates.
12Noon Departure O’Hare. Al James comes with us to Montreal and will entertain on the plane.
3PM Arriving in Montreal. Transportation to Hyatt Regency Montreal
7PM Air Canada, Aeroplan program at Hyatt Regency Montreal.
Friday September 9th
7AM Diamond Breakfast at Hyatt Regency Montreal
8AM Buses depart for Mirabel airport, Bombardier tour
1130AM Buses depart for YUL, Bombardier, Air Canada and Aeroplan program
530PM Our charter CO1904 departs YUL
Official party flight!!
730PM Arrival in Denver
Transport to the Grand Hyatt in Denver Free & Easy night
Saturday September 10th
There will be 3 experiences to choose from this Saturday. The day is hosted in cooperation with our friends at the Jason Dahl’s Scholarship Fund who commemorates the 10th anniversary of 9/11 Confirmed: Tour of United Airlines training facilities.
Auction of simulator time on 777 and A320!!
Working on: Air National guard tour and F16 rides!! Lockheed Martin Tour.
5PM Hyatt Program at the Grand Hyatt Denver.
Close at 9PM
END OF PROGRAM
• Official Rules: No purchase necessary. Entries for contest start Wednesday, July 13, at 8:30am EDT and ends Tuesday, July 19 at 11:59pm EDT. Winner announced Wednesday, July 20. Eligibility requirements: Limited to US residents over 18; entries can be submitted via Twitter and Facebook Wall; five per person per day per medium; odds of winning will depend on the number of entries received; (ARV) of prize is $2,084; winner will be selected at random on July 20 and notified via the Twitter or Facebook account used to enter; an alternate will also be selected in case the original winner is not able to attend the event. Winner will be required to provide their own transportation to Chicago for the beginning of the event and home from Denver after the event close, and must have a valid passport. Winner agrees to give The Points Guy any content based on the trip for use in any medium in perpetuity. The winner will be required to sign a release and affidavit of eligibility.
• Prize will be reported to the IRS as income to the winner on Form 1099-MISC
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.