This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Finding that your United mileage balance is well short of what you need for a dream vacation? If you’re lucky, you’ll be one of the 100 MileagePlus members who end up with a seven-digit balance thanks to United’s Billion Mile Giveaway.
Starting Monday, each eligible purchase made on a Chase-issued MileagePlus credit card will earn one entry into United’s contest to give away a total of 1,000,000,000 miles. The contest runs through September 30, so you might want to make your United MileagePlus Explorer credit card your primary card for the next two months.
In total, there will be 140,100 prizes given away — with a combined total of 1,000,000,000 miles:
- 100 grand prizes of 1,000,000 United miles + $7,500 cash to cover taxes on the prize
- 10,000 first prizes of 25,000 United miles
- 130,000 second prizes of 5,000 United miles
It’s interesting to note that there’s also an alternative method of entry, and it doesn’t require mailing letters. Starting August 1, log onto the Billion Mile Giveaway website and manually fill-in your information to get a free entry into the contest. There’s no limit to the number of free entries you can get, but you must be a United MileagePlus member to enter. Also, the terms & conditions require that “each entry must be manually key stroked.”
Not a cardholder? The current United MileagePlus Explorer sign-up bonus is currently 30,000 United miles after you spend $1,000 in the first three months. In the past, the sign-up bonus has jumped to 50,000 miles or even a targeted offer of 70,000 miles. However, if you’ve got an upcoming trip, the other cardholder benefits — such as free first checked bag, priority boarding and two free United Club passes — might make it worth applying now.
What would you do with 1,000,000 United miles?
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards