This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa’s making it much easier for travelers to upgrade to premium economy, business and first class in 2016 on the carrier’s long-haul international flights. Passengers can now pay cash to upgrade to the next class of service on select routes.
The best part: Flyers in all classes, including economy, can pay a flat fee based on the route to upgrade to a better seat. The cheapest upgrades are those from economy to premium economy, which start at 249 euros (~$268) per flight. Economy passengers can also upgrade to business class. On the other end of the spectrum, travelers booked in business class can pay as much as 1,500 euros (~$1,614) for an upgrade to first class. Note that all of these upgrades are one-way, so you’ll have to pay double if you want an upgrade for both sides of a round-trip ticket.
As of right now, the upgrades are only available on the routes listed above and the cost differs between flights, but it’s possible Lufthansa could expand this offer to other flights. Additionally, award tickets cannot be upgraded using this method, and economy fares booked in K, L or T class can’t be upgraded to business class. Flights must be operated by Lufthansa and you must request an upgrade before you check in for the flight. Fortunately, your fare class will be upgraded as well, so you should be able to earn miles based on the upgraded cabin, not the one you originally booked.
Ultimately, this is a pretty good offer for many of the airline’s long-haul flights, which can be quite expensive in premium cabins. Lufthansa’s first class is among the best in the sky, and certainly a pleasure to fly. If you’re not sold on a cash upgrade, you can always book with points and miles either with Miles & More, or with an alliance partner such as Air Canada’s Aeroplan program or United MileagePlus.
See Lufthansa’s site for more info (note that you must be logged in to access this page).
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees