This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As I wrote about in August, starting December 1, 2011 (tomorrow) miles earned from American Airlines co-branded credit cards will not count towards million miler status.
EXCEPT, if you get the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard, which comes with a hefty $450 annual fee, but also grants lounge access and the ability to earn up to 10,000 elite miles every year with $40,000 in spend.
Per the original announcement:
Also, as a limited time offer, one AAdvantage mile for every dollar spent on eligible purchases using the new Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® credit card that post to billing statements through December 2012 will count toward Million Miler status*. The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® credit card account must be open and in good standing by December 1, 2011. [No longer available]
So my interpretation is that as long as you apply and are approved today, then the miles you earn through December 2012 will also count towards your Million Miler Status.
Granted, AA just filed for bankruptcy later, but most experts think they will emerge, just fine though it’s still a risk placing all of your bets on AA. That being said, if you reach one million lifetime miles you get Gold Status for life, 2 million = Two Million= Lifetime Platinum Status and get 8 upgrade stickers (US Residents) or 4 EVips (international addresses). 4 Evips are awarded for each additional million accrued.
Hat tip Gary who reminded me that you had to get the credit card by December 1. 2011 (and congrats on your 3 million mile achievement!)
- For a limited time, earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy Group 1 Boarding on American Airlines flights*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases.1
- Receive 25% savings on in-flight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*
- Double AAdvantage® miles on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage® miles back — up to 10,000 AAdvantage® miles each calendar year*