This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Hilton Surpass Card from American Express
Need a few more Hilton points to top off your account for a redemption? Good news! Now through Feburary 8, you’ll earn a bonus when transferring ThankYou points to Hilton. The standard rate is 1 ThankYou point to 1.5 HHonors points, but with this bonus, you’ll end up with 2,000 HHonors points for every 1,000 ThankYou points you transfer.
The transfer from Citi ThankYou points to Hilton isn’t immediate, but you can expect the have the points hit your Hilton account sometime within 24 hours. Keep in mind that Citi only promises that the points “will be posted to your Hilton HHonors Member Account within 3 business days.”
In case you’re sitting on a stockpile of ThankYou points, there’s no maximum to the number of points that you can transfer to earn the bonus, but you’re capped to transferring just 500,000 ThankYou points per transfer.
Is It Worth It?
In his latest points/miles valuations, TPG pegs Citi ThankYou points at 1.6 cents each — although you can get even more value by transferring to Flying Blue, Singapore or Etihad. Meanwhile, TPG values Hilton HHonors points at just 0.5 cents each. So, even at a 1:2 ratio, you can expect to lose out on some value.
That said, points and miles are only valuable if you can use them. If you have some orphaned HHonors points, it might make sense to utilize this transfer bonus to top off your account so you can redeem for an award. And, there are some great ways to get value from your Hilton points.
Another way of stocking up on Hilton HHonors points is by opening a new credit card. Now through November 30, you can get a whopping 100,000-point sign-up bonus on the Hilton Surpass Card from American Express. The no-fee Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card also currently has an elevated sign-up bonus of 75,000 points. We don’t know when the Visa card’s bonus will end, so jump on that soon if you know you want that bonus.
H/T: Frequent Miler
Featured image courtesy of Hilton Los Cabos.
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards