This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling during the holidays can be an exceptionally stressful affair due to a crush of passengers traveling through the nation’s airports trying to get to their loved ones. American Express wants to take a little stress out of holiday traveling by partnering with Uber to offer US cardholders two free rides home from select major US airports (up to $65 per ride) through December 31, 2016.
Update 11/27/16: Amex has confirmed that the offer is back on, so if you haven’t registered yet be sure to do so right away! Here’s the statement from American Express:
“Due to the significant response to this offer during the busy Thanksgiving weekend, the enrollment limit was reached quickly and the offer was not available for a period of time. Uber has just increased the enrollment limit to enable more Amex Card Members to take advantage of the offer. All Amex Card Members who successfully added the promotion code to their Uber account will still be able to redeem the offer on eligible rides through 12/31.”
Update 11/26/16: Some readers have been unable to register using the promotion code, but have been successful in getting a refund from Uber following their ride. Based on the terms it doesn’t appear that there’s a cap to the number of users who can take advantage of this promo.
To claim your $130 in savings, you simply need to enter AMEXAIRPORT in the promotions tab within the Uber app and make sure that your American Express card (prepaid cards aren’t eligible) is the selected method of payment, and then $65 will be taken off the total cost of your ride after you’ve made it home. To be eligible for this promotion, rides must originate at one of the following airports:
- Boston (BOS)
- Chicago (ORD and MDW)
- Houston (IAH)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- New York (EWR, LGA and JFK)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Washington, D.C. (DCA and IAD)
Getting home from the airport by car can often be very pricy, so this offer is without a doubt a generous holiday gift if you’re based in one of the markets this promo covers. Remember, if you don’t have an Uber account, you can sign up here to receive another free ride (up to $20) from TPG.
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees