This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to travel. Additionally, keep in mind that discounted partner fares may not earn miles with US-based carriers.
Air New Zealand just shared the details of a fare sale, with round-trip flights starting at $995 from the US to multiple Australian destinations. The sale is valid for departures from January 26, 2017 through May 31, 2017. You can fly from Houston (IAH), Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) to Adelaide (ADL), Brisbane (BNE), Cairns (CNS), Gold Coast (OOL), Melbourne (MEL), Perth (PER) and Sydney (SYD). Air New Zealand is known for its Skycouch product, which turns a row of economy seats into a bed or couch as well as its stylish business class cabins in both the 787 and 777-300.
Airline: Air New Zealand
Route: IAH, LAX and SFO to Australia
Cost: $995+ round-trip in economy
Dates: January 26, 2017 – May 31, 2017
Booking Link: Expedia
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige Card or Chase Sapphire Preferred
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Francisco (SFO) to Sydney (SYD) for $993 round-trip in February:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Melbourne (MEL) for $1,010 round-trip in March:
Houston (IAH) to Gold Coast (OOL) for $1,098 round-trip in March:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards