This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s taken eight years of hard work, but KLM and Heineken have figured out how to serve beer from the tap on an airplane. Starting next month, you’ll be able to purchase a draft Heineken on select flights with the Dutch airline.
There were many challenges to overcome with respect to serving draft beer in the air. Airplane cabins have less air pressure than the ground, so there was some concern that the beer wouldn’t taste quite right. Further, space on board an aircraft is at a premium so a traditional keg would be too large and heavy, and anything smaller would cause the beer to be mostly foam.
To solve this problem, Heineken determined that it should leave out a cooling system within the keg cart. The small kegs will be cooled offsite and then delivered chilled to the plane. Heineken claims that its solution has allowed KLM to serve the exact same beer in the air as you can expect to find on the ground.
KLM isn’t the first airline to attempt serving beer from a tap on board an aircraft. Several years ago, ANA offered draft beer on select flights, but ended up eliminating the service.
Will you be ordering a draft Heineken on your next KLM flight?
H/T: View from the Wing
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards