This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways is known for offering exceptional business-class fares across the pond from time to time, and the airline’s current promotion can help you score a fantastic deal — if you’re able to fly with a friend. As part of this promotion, you can book two tickets to London or Manchester starting at $2,216 round-trip. When paired with the AARP and 10% Visa discounts, that drops to just $1,668, including tax. See this post for booking instructions.
To book flights as part of this promo, you need to complete your purchase by July 12 and travel between July 12, 2016 and May 31, 2017, but you’ll need to begin your travel by December 31, 2016 to score the greatest discount (via the Visa promotion outlined here). Availability is fantastic from most US gateways — officially, you can fly from (in fare order) New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Miami, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Austin, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Houston, San Diego and Las Vegas. If you’re completing your travel by July 31, you can also take advantage of American’s very generous transatlantic bonus, so be sure to register before you travel.
Airline(s): British Airways, American Airlines, Iberia and others
Route(s): Many US cities to London and Manchester
Cost: $1,668+ round-trip in business
Dates: July 2016 through May 2017
Booking Link: British Airways via AARP
Pay With: American Express Premier Rewards Gold, Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Preferred
Here are a few examples of flights we found:
New York (JFK) to London (LHR) in business class on British Airways for $3,336 (two passengers):
Miami (MIA) to London (LHR) in business class on British Airways for $3,650 (two passengers):
Chicago (ORD) to London (LHR) in business class on British Airways for $3,768 (two passengers):
San Francisco (SFO) to London (LHR) in business class on British Airways for $5,450 (two passengers):
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Will you be taking advantage of this sale?
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards