This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Royal Air Maroc might not be at the top of your list of carriers you’re looking to redeem miles with, but this current promotion should at least put the airline on your radar.
Now through September 30, if you create a Safar Family account with the airline’s Safar frequent flyer program, you’ll earn 5,000 miles. That may not seem like much, but it happens to be enough for a one-way economy ticket for a flight within Morocco.
While earning enough miles for a free flight — for doing almost nothing — is cool and all, a one-way intra-Morocco award might not align with your travel plans. What makes this bonus worthwhile is the fact that Royal Air Maroc is set to join the Avios program some time this year. Details on the timeline for this change and the transfer options that will be available are scant, but in any case this means that those Safar Flyer miles could be used toward British Airways (or other partner) awards in the future.
Royal Air Maroc already partners with one airline in the Avios program: Iberia. When the Moroccan carrier officially adopts Avios as its loyalty currency, it will open up more redemption options — and those 5,000 miles could go toward a short-haul BA award for 4,500 Avios one-way outside the US.
To sign up for a Safar Family account, you’ll need to register each family member in the Safar Flyer program, then complete the membership form found here and send a scanned copy along with the requested documentation to email@example.com — hardly a seamless process, but it could definitely be worth it given the upcoming move to Avios. As a new Safar Flyer member, you can earn 4,000 miles after your first Royal Air Maroc flight, but that might be less relevant than the 5,000 miles you can earn simply by signing up.
H/T: View from the Wing
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards