This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express is currently offering a bonus when you transfer Membership Rewards to Hawaiian Airlines. Now through June 21, if you have a Membership Rewards-earning card like the Amex Premier Rewards Gold or Amex Platinum, you’ll be able to transfer those points to Hawaiian Airlines with a 25% bonus.
With the promotion, you must transfer points in 1,000-point increments, and for every 1,000 points you transfer, you’ll receive 1,250 Hawaiian miles. Note that American Express charges a tax of 60 cents per 1,000 points transferred to Hawaiian, with a maximum of $99.
Note that if you’re planning a trip to Hawaii, this bonus extends your options for interisland travel. On Hawaiian, a one-way award flight to a neighbor island costs 7,500 miles — so with the MR bonus, you’ll need to transfer just 6,000 points. For interisland travel, this redemption is better than you’d get from other redemption options — except for Virgin America. Virgin America charges just 3,000 each way for interisland travel, making it the cheapest option for award travel. Virgin America recently became an SPG transfer partner, and TPG values Starpoints at 2.5 cents each, so you’ll be transferring $75 worth of points for a one-way flight, versus $114 with the Amex redemption. Read more here to learn how to best transfer points for travel in the Hawaiian islands.
This could be a valuable redemption, but as always, it’s best to do your research and compare if you’re getting the best value out of your redemption versus booking a cash ticket. Flights to and from Hawaii can get quite expensive, and this 25% bonus makes the transfer much more valuable — and worth considering if you have a particular redemption in mind. If you don’t see any Hawaiian travel in your future, it’s probably best to keep your points with Amex.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees