This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. You may not be able to purchase flights to Cuba via an online travel agency, however, so in this case we recommend heading to the airline’s site to complete your purchase.
Today we’re excited to announce TPG’s first-ever deal alert to Cuba! If you’ve been wanting to explore this intriguing island nation, now is the time to book your trip. Last week American Airlines started selling tickets to Cuba on several routes starting this September. The prices all started around the $600 mark, but as of today, American Airlines is issuing discounted fares on many flights to Cuba from several US cities starting at just $262 round-trip from New York (LGA). Better yet, these sales are even valid on inaugural flights to several cities including Cienfuegos on September 7. TPG Senior Editor Kaeli Conforti recently traveled to Cuba and had a wonderful time. US citizens should keep in mind that as of right now, your reason for traveling to Cuba must fall under one of 12 approved categories outlined by the US State Department.
Airlines: American Airlines
Route(s): US cities to Cuba
Cost: $262+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 2016 – December 2016
Booking Link: American Airlines
Pay With: Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Preferred
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (LGA) to Cienfuegos (CFG) for $262 round-trip on American Airlines:
Boston (BOS) to Cienfuegos (CFG) for $262 round-trip on American Airlines:
Boston (BOS) to Holguín (HOG) for $262 round-trip on American Airlines:
New York (LGA) to Holguín (HOG) for $262 round-trip on American Airlines:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards