This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’re all familiar with the idea of staying in a hotel we didn’t choose thanks to Hotwire. But, what if your destination itself was unknown when you booked your flight?
Don’t worry, you do get some say in the matter. You can choose from a list of “travel topics.” Each travel category lists 7-12 cities as possible destinations.
The categories and possible destinations are:
- Nature: Gdansk, Stockholm, Geneva, Helsinki, Zurich, Rostock-Laage, Larnaca, Copenhagen, Oslo, Gothenburg
- Sun & Sand: Izmir, Bilbao, Triest, Naples, Gdansk, Genoa, Ancona, Stockholm, Nice, Marseille
- Bromance: Amsterdam, Manchester, Hamburg, Dublin, Warsaw, Belgrade, Prague, Poznan, Lviv, Krakow, Sarajevo
- Cities: Berlin, Rome, Dublin, Lisbon, Madrid, Warsaw, Bucharest, Brussels, Budapest, Zagreb, Belgrade, Athens
- Sightseeing & Culture: Paris, Vienna, Warsaw, Basel, Poznan, Dresden, Lviv, Krakow, Sibiu, Wroclaw, Toulouse
- Gourmet cuisine: Milan, Paris, Hamburg, Madrid, Brussels, Lyon, Graz
- Partying: Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Milan, Turin, Dublin, Lisbon, Madrid, Birmingham, Prague, Lyon
- Romance: Barcelona, Rome, Paris, Vienna, Lisbon, Budapest, Prague, Pisa
- Shopping: Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Manchester, Rome, Milan, Paris, Hamburg, Vienna, Turin
Each category starts currently starts at either €89 or €99.
Once you select a category, you select your dates on the next page. You can book anywhere from 1 to 42 days in advance and choose either specific dates or a range of dates. Be careful of your selection though; if you leave the search terms too broad, you could be stuck with a ticket anytime in the date range. Since there’s currently no price benefit to traveling on unknown dates, I’d suggest checking availability on specific dates.
If you’re adamantly against one or more of the possible destinations, you can veto them by un-checking the box next to the city — but you might face an increase in price for reducing the options. You’re allowed to eliminate all but two options if you wish, but the final choice is still Lufthansa’s.
Some other notes to keep in mind:
- These are mileage-accruing flights. You have a choice of 25 different programs for your flight credit, including United, but be sure to note your fare class as some fares may not earn miles with certain programs.
- The fare includes one carry-on bag of up to 18 lbs.
- No changes or refunds are allowed.
For now, Lufthansa Surprise is only available from the airline’s hubs in Frankfurt and Munich. We can hope that Lufthansa will expand this program to include other departure cities — including the US airports Lufthansa serves. Until then, you’ll have to utilize this new program on your next trip to Germany.
While the current version of Lufthansa Surprise isn’t going to be useful to most US-based travelers, we applaud Lufthansa for launching a unique way to book flights. Hopefully Lufthansa will expand this program to include departures from its US airports. In an industry that often plays copycat, it’s always possible that US-based carriers will launch similar programs to give travelers a cheap option for last-minute (and surprise) getaways.
Featured image of Marseille, France courtesy of Shutterstock.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards