This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United lets you earn and redeem MileagePlus miles with a variety of Star Alliance carriers, such as ANA and Lufthansa, but the airline also partners with a handful of other airlines around the world, albeit with (relatively) limited benefits for consumers. One such airline is Azul, which offers service to a whopping 105 destinations around Brazil, in addition to providing international flights to Orlando and Miami.
So you can fly from your home city in the US to a United hub, then travel on United down to Sao Paulo or Rio and catch a connecting Azul flight to any of 105 destinations within Brazil. And as of this month, you’ll earn full redeemable miles for your Azul leg, in addition to elite-qualifying miles and PQDs.
Here’s what you can expect to earn when it comes to elite-qualifying miles:
As for redeemable miles, here’s what you’ll earn on a ticket issued by United:
Meanwhile, for tickets issued by Azul or another carrier, you’ll earn redeemable miles based on distance flown:
As with some other United partners, elite members will earn bonus miles based on the distance flown (with tickets not issued by United). Silver members will earn 25% bonus miles, Gold members will earn a 50% bonus, Platinum members get 75% more miles and Premier 1K and Global Services members get a 100% mileage bonus.
Ultimately, this is great news for travelers, and with Brazil’s waived visa requirements and decent airfares often available, now’s a great time to consider adding Azul (and Brazil) to your travel plans.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards