This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier today, we wrote about the approval of the Marriott/Starwood merger — including Starwood’s email to SPG members, which discussed the future of the program. Marriott has also released a statement for Marriott Rewards members. As with SPG’s statement, Marriott doesn’t discuss too many details, but the letter does indicate that members will have access to more hotels within both portfolios and more unique benefits as guests. Here’s the full text of the letter:
One Step Closer to More Choices for Marriott Rewards Members
We’re excited to announce that we’ve secured shareholder approval for Marriott International to join together with Starwood Hotels & Resorts — a significant milestone towards creating the world’s largest lodging company and strongest loyalty program in the industry. Since we announced our plans to merge with Starwood, you’ve raised questions about the impact of the merger on your membership and the Marriott Rewards® program. I want to take this opportunity to provide an update on where we stand.
Serving our valued guests has always been our priority at Marriott, and your feedback is important to us as we collaborate with Starwood on the vision for our loyalty programs.
After we become one company, we expect to run parallel loyalty programs while we engage in the complicated work of integration. During this period, there is no change to how you manage your Marriott Rewards account or book reservations, and you will maintain your existing member benefits for some time. In fact, we don’t anticipate launching a newly combined program until 2018.
The good news is that we have many possibilities ahead of us because Marriott and Starwood both have great loyalty programs. We intend to draw upon the very best of both Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG®) to provide even more value to our members.
Here are just a few of the future opportunities we’re excited about:
- Giving our members access to our collective portfolio of 5,500 hotels and resorts in more than 100 countries.
- Offering even more unique benefits to help members pursue their passions and greater opportunities for exclusive, once-in-a-lifetime experiences.
- Personalized and relevant service before, during and after the hotel stay.
In the meantime, we’re actively exploring ways to build bridges between the two programs to further enhance your experience.
Marriott remains committed to evolving our Marriott Rewards member benefits. Our recent announcement of Marriott Rewards Member Rates is the latest way we’re showing our loyalty to our members. These new rates are exclusively designed to reward members with the lowest rates available across our portfolio when booking directly on Marriott.com, our easy-to-use app, our call centers or through select corporate travel professionals.
We are grateful for your loyalty, and we are listening to you and taking your input into consideration. Our merger is on track to close midyear, and as we have more news to share, we’ll reach out to you. In the meantime, we will continue to provide you with the exceptional service and travel experience you have come to expect from us at Marriott. You can find the latest updates here and via Twitter (@marriottrewards), and as always, reach out to us through our hotels, at marriott.com, in our Marriott Rewards Insiders community, on the Marriott app or via our call centers.
Thank you for your continued loyalty, and happy traveling!
President & CEO
Featured image courtesy of New York Marriott East Side.
- Earn 80,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Plus, earn 7,500 bonus points when you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Enjoy 1 Free Night Stay at a Category 1-5 hotel every year after your account anniversary date!
- Earn unlimited Marriott Rewards points and get Free Night Stays faster
- Earn 5 points per $1 spent at participating Marriott Rewards & SPG hotels
- 2 points per $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly with the airlines, at car rental agencies & restaurants. Plus 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else
- The fastest way to earn Marriott Rewards Elite Status. Receive 15 Elite Credits guaranteeing Silver Elite Status or better.
- All for an $85 Annual Fee