This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta’s Choice Benefits are among the most lucrative frequent flyer perks out there for those with Delta Diamond Medallion status, with Global Upgrade certificates being one of the best options — this Choice Benefit offers an upgrade on select tickets that supersedes other Medallion members with complimentary upgrade requests.
Typically, people will use them on flights operated by Delta to upgrade from economy to business class, although the airline’s “E” basic economy class is excluded. Another option, although less valuable, is to use the Global Upgrade certificates on SkyTeam parters like Air France or KLM — with the caveat that you must be ticketed in the pricier Y, B or M fare classes.
Recently though, the policy changed to expand certificate eligibility on KLM codeshare flights (that were booked through Delta) to include a wider variety of eligible fare classes, notably more economy-level tickets — the eligible main cabin fare classes are: Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X and V.
If you’re a Delta flyer traveling internationally, this is great news. While Delta’s premium product is a solid option, more choices are always a good thing. Keep in mind that you must be on a Delta-marketed flight and that Global Upgrades on KLM flights must be confirmed 24 hours prior to departure — they also may not be used to waitlist these KLM-operated flights. Nonetheless, if you’re headed to the Netherlands or any other destination KLM serves, this could be worth considering.
H/T: Rene’s Points
If you are a Delta flyer who is looking to bank some extra miles this card is a great addition for your wallet. While you'll earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases and 1 mile per dollar on everything else, you'll also have access to other perks like priority boarding, a first bag checked free and 20% off in-flight purchases.
- Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile for every dollar spent on all other eligible purchases.
- Check your first bag free on every Delta flight - that's a savings of up to $200 per round trip for a family of four.
- Settle in sooner with Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees