This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
No one likes waiting for checked baggage after a long flight. Alaska Airlines has long offered a baggage service guarantee, offering a $25 voucher or 2,500 miles if your baggage isn’t at the carousel within 20 minutes of your plane’s arrival at the gate—and now it looks like Delta Air Lines wants in on this action.
Starting today, Delta is offering their own baggage guarantee of 2,500 SkyMiles.
Delta’s Bags On Time Guarantee
SkyMiles members whose bags are more than 20 minutes late to baggage claim in a domestic U.S. airport between February 19-March 31, 2015 are eligible for the Bags on Time Guarantee of 2,500 SkyMiles.
To fill out a claim, you’ll have to visit their website, where you’ll enter your name, flight number, travel date, and confirmation number, which will then be submitted for processing. Be aware that these bonus SkyMiles may take up to two weeks to appear in your account.
In light of so many negative Delta SkyMiles changes, I think this new baggage initiative from them is a big win, and though it’s only being advertised for just over a month, I hope it will soon be rolled out permanently. With SkyMiles shifting to a revenue-based program, this guarantee could actually prove a way to boost your SkyMiles balance, assuming that many bags take more than 20 minutes to drop.
Speaking of baggage, if you want to be able to check a free bag every time you fly Delta, consider the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express, which offers just that for yourself, plus up to eight others traveling with you in the same reservation.
What are your thoughts on Delta’s new baggage guarantee? Feel free to comment below!
If you are a Delta flyer who is looking to bank some extra miles this card is a great addition for your wallet. While you'll earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases and 1 mile per dollar on everything else, you'll also have access to other perks like priority boarding, a first bag checked free and 20% off in-flight purchases.
- Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile for every dollar spent on all other eligible purchases.
- Check your first bag free on every Delta flight - that's a savings of up to $200 per round trip for a family of four.
- Settle in sooner with Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees