Tips From the World’s Most Frequent Flyer: Showering in the Lounge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today, Tom’s joining us from the United Polaris Lounge in San Francisco (SFO), where he frequently stops to refresh after a long international flight — often Sydney, Australia (SYD), which means he’s spent at least 13 consecutive hours sitting on a plane. After nearly 7,500 miles of flying, I’d be eager for a shower, and Tom often is as well. As he points out, some lounges offer more than just some hot running water, though.
At the SFO Polaris Lounge (and other United locations), you can ask for a dental kit, shaving set and other amenities. But Tom’s favorite amenity is the pressing service — hand over your clothes when you arrive, and they’ll be delivered fully pressed by the time you’re ready to roll. Some lounges even have washers and dryers on hand, and the staff might be willing to run an item or two through, especially if you’re in a pinch. As we always say, it never hurts to ask!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
SIGN-UP BONUS: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on all travel and dining, $300 annual travel credit, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year.
- Earn 5x total points on air travel and 10x total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually. Earn 3x points on other travel and dining & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $900 toward travel
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 50% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit every four years for Global Entry, NEXUS, or TSA PreCheck®
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more