There’s a Hidden Bar in Italy Where You Order Cocktails From a Takeout Window
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fancy an unusual cocktail during a trip to northern Italy? Simply stroll up to an unassuming hatch in a charming piazza, ring the bell, order a cocktail through the small window and enjoy it al fresco.
CuCù Bar, located in Bassano del Grappa (in the Veneto region of Italy), has space for about 10 to 15 guests inside. But it’s much more fun to order at the window and sip your drink outside.
Brothers Leone and Edoardo Miotti had the idea for CuCù after working in California and Milan. The duo wanted to bring something a little different back to Bassano del Grappa — a ring and drink concept complete with dependable, professional service and clever craft beverages. And that’s how CuCù was born. The name of the bar was borrowed from a watchmaker whose shop once occupied the same building.
CuCù serves specialty cocktails such as a traditional Italian Aperol spritz, the mezcal-based Mayahuel and a signature Julep. The so-called Julep Jump features classic ingredients like cognac and mint, as well as a special aperitif made from wine infused with different spices: sweet and bitter orange, cloves and quassia, all stored in a steel barrel lined with clay for a month. This special elixir is called leone, and is also sold separately at CuCù.
The town of Bassano del Grappa has become somewhat well known for its CuCù bar, as well as its 16th-century wooden bridge, the Ponte degli Alpini. The village also has a cathedral, a palace with frescoes and a beautiful town hall.
A visit to the city of Bassano del Grappa, which dates back to the 2nd century, can easily be combined with a trip to Milan, Venice or Verona. The best way to work a detour to Bassano del Grappa into your itinerary would be to first fly nonstop from the United States to Milan. Here, you can rent a car and drive east to reach Bassano, Verona and Venice. Alternatively, you can take local buses or trains.
American Airlines flies nonstop between Milan Malpensa (MXP) and New York (JFK) and Miami (MIA). Economy awards are bookable from 22,500 AAdvantage miles one-way, while business awards start at 57,500 miles one-way at the MileSAAver level.
Alitalia flies to Milan (MXP) from New York (JFK), but travelers should note that the airline filed for bankruptcy last year and is currently up for sale, while still operating regularly. TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig flew Alitalia in late 2017 without any issues, but it may still be best to consider a Delta Air Lines flight from New York (JFK) instead if you want to fly SkyTeam.
Or, travelers can choose to fly from New York (JFK) on Emirates’ A380 — and remember, you can transfer Amex Membership Rewards points to Emirates, too. You’ll need at least 38,750 Emirates Skywards miles to fly one-way in economy, 62,500 to fly in business and 85,000 to fly in first.
United Airlines flies to Milan Malpensa (MXP) from Newark (EWR); one-way awards at the Saver level start at 30,000 miles in economy class and 60,000 in business class.
From Milan, you can drive to Bassano del Grappa in approximatley three hours.
Photo of CuCù Bar by Barbara Beltramello.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees