This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbnb has added its most remote rental listing yet: A stay in a yurt with a nomadic tribe of reindeer herders in Mongolia.
The rental listing in northern Mongolia is made possible by GPS company what3words, which maps every 10ft x 10ft square in the world with an address of three random words. This innovative technique makes it possible to pin down a remote nomadic tribe in the hills of Mongolia.
The listing looks like it has been active since May 2018. It invites guests to “spend 2 nights and 3 days with a Dukha family in the Taiga (winter forest) in northern Mongolia, stay in Teepee and herd (and ride) Reindeers.” The rental rate is listed as £94 (about $120 USD) per night.
The accommodations are definitely rustic. “There will be 2 wooden beds, sleeping bags and open-fire stove,” the listing states. “Hosts will use stove for heating the Teepee and preparing 3 meals a day. Main ingredients for the meals will be meat and noodles. If you have food restrictions, be sure bring your own food.”
And as for a restroom, that is left to “nature!” the listing says. “Please bear in mind there won’t be any toilet or bathroom as Dukha people move around the forest.” But, if you are willing to brave the elements, the payoff for time spent in the remote wilderness seems to be worth it. “Since the Reindeer family will be located deep in the forest of Taiga, you will be surrounded by beautiful nature full of trees and wild animals,” the post says.
There is one guest review posted on the page, and it is a rave.
“The reindeer herding family actually meets your group on horseback and reindeer to ascend the mountain to the teepee camp,” a reviewer who stayed with the family in June, named Cameron, writes. “Once there you are greeted by the whole family and a freshly made reindeer milk tea is a once in a lifetime experience. Worth the journey… …come a stranger, leave as part of the family. Tourists pay tens of thousands to get to close to reindeer, guests stay and live with them for a fraction of the price.”
The listing does warn that the hosts will have limited knowledge of English.
If you do book a stay with the Dukha people, make sure you use one of the best cards for Airbnb.
All images by the host via Airbnb.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees