Your Next Flight on United Airlines’ Largest Boeing 787 Dreamliner May Be a Bit Quicker
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines may get you to your destination a little sooner next time you fly on its largest Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
The US Federal Aviation Administration has authorized the Chicago-based carrier to fly the 787-10 up to 240 minutes from the nearest diversion airport, otherwise known as 240-minute ETOPS or Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards. United’s 787-8s and -9s are already certified for up to 240-minute ETOPS.
The certification can allow United to fly the 787-10 on more direct routings across oceans, both getting passengers to their destinations faster and reducing fuel burn and carbon emissions, airline spokesman Jonathan Guerin said to TPG.
However, the new certification does not impact any of the carrier’s existing 787-10 routes nor was it necessary before it begins flying the Dreamliner across the Pacific Ocean to Shanghai Pudong (PVG) in December and Tokyo Haneda (HND) in March, Guerin added. The more direct routings possible because of the certification, however, could shave a few minutes off flights.
The 787-10 is the longest and newest variant of Boeing’s Dreamliner family. United introduced the aircraft quietly in December before officially placing it in its schedule in January, two months after taking delivery of its first of the type.
United configures the largest Dreamliner with 318 seats, including 44 Polaris business class seats and 21 Premium Plus international-style premium-economy seats. That is 66 more seats than on its 787-9.
The added capacity, which comes with a 1,387-mile range penalty compared to the -9’s 8,665-mile range, makes it an ideal aircraft for busy medium-distance routes, where the airline sees demand for the additional seats. United has flown the aircraft to Barcelona (BCN), Brussels (BRU), Dublin (DUB), Frankfurt (FRA), Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) and Tel Aviv (TLV) from its Newark Liberty (EWR) hub since March.
— Edward Russell (@e_russell) June 20, 2019
United had taken delivery delivery of nine of the 14 787-10s it has on order by the end of July, according to Boeing delivery data. The airline also operates 12 787-8s and 25 787-9s.
Featured image courtesy of Boeing.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees