Your In-Air Netflix Binge Will Soon Get More Expensive
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
Netflix is getting slightly less chill, at least where monthly plan costs are involved.
The online streaming service increased the cost of all three of its monthly package prices. The new rates are effective immediately for new members, while existing members will see the price increase hit their bills over the next few months.
Under the new pricing, the Basic plan will increase by 12.5%, from $8 to $9 per month. The mid-tier Standard plan will increase to $13, an 18% increase over the previous rate of $11 per month. And the Premium plan will now cost $16 moving forward, 14% more expensive than the previous $14/month.
Netflix now boasts more than 58 million US subscribers, and 137 million subscribers around the globe. The price hike no doubt will help Netflix bridge some of the financial gap created by its investment in original content. Netflix anticipated $3 of negative free cash flow in 2018, and expects to see similar numbers for 2019. The company spent at least $8 billion in new content in 2018, according to the company’s own projections from 2017, and plans to take on an additional $2 billion in debt in 2019 to continue doing so.
As a quick refresher, the best credit cards to use for Netflix subscriptions are the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card for 3x points per dollar, the Uber Visa Card for 2x points, the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card for 1x returns, and the Sony Card from Capital One. For an in-depth guide on the best cards to use for various streaming services, check out TPG’s recommendations here. Additionally, certain T-Mobile plans offer free Netflix subscriptions as part of their package incentives.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.