Your favorite AA award tool is back — and better than ever
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After a few weeks offline, the American Airlines award map is back — and it’s got a fantastic improvement.
American Airlines disabled their award-map tool in December for maintenance. It wasn’t exactly clear what that meant, but American Airlines reactivated the tool in early January and there’s a big enhancement that will make finding cheap flights even easier.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As ever, you can enter search parameters such as origin, region of destination, dates, number of passengers, and the number of miles you want to redeem. This is helpful for Economy Web Specials hunters. You can input 5,000 or 6,000 miles into the search bar and the tool will check all routes between your home airport and your desired zone.
The tool helps you find excellent deals with a single click instead of manually searching hundreds of routes. The huge improvement? You can now search for international flights too.
You can choose from the following regions:
- Continental U.S.
- Canada & Alaska
- Mexico & Caribbean
- Central & South America
- Asia Pacific
- Africa & Middle East
You can also search by “interest,” such as:
This opens up the world to deal chasers. Even if your dream vacation spot isn’t available for a low award price, you might find a deal at a nearby airport that you could leverage. For example, you may want to visit Venice, but round-trip flights cost 60,000 American Airlines miles. This tool could reveal a 34,000-mile round-trip to a neighboring city like Zurich. Round-trip flights between Zurich and Venice routinely cost $95, so it could be worth detouring to Zurich and spending $95 to save 26,000 miles.
Remember, you can earn American Airlines miles through credit card welcome bonuses such as:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® — Earn 50,000 bonus American Airlines miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first three months of account opening.
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® — Earn 65,000 bonus American Airlines miles after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first four months of account opening
Let us know what you think of the new tool. And be sure to read our post on how to redeem American Airlines miles.
Featured image by Joseph Hostetler/The Points Guy
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees