Your favorite AA award tool is back — and better than ever
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After a few weeks offline, the American Airlines award map is back — and it’s got a fantastic improvement.
American Airlines disabled their award-map tool in December for maintenance. It wasn’t exactly clear what that meant, but American Airlines reactivated the tool in early January and there’s a big enhancement that will make finding cheap flights even easier.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As ever, you can enter search parameters such as origin, region of destination, dates, number of passengers, and the number of miles you want to redeem. This is helpful for Economy Web Specials hunters. You can input 5,000 or 6,000 miles into the search bar and the tool will check all routes between your home airport and your desired zone.
The tool helps you find excellent deals with a single click instead of manually searching hundreds of routes. The huge improvement? You can now search for international flights too.
You can choose from the following regions:
- Continental U.S.
- Canada & Alaska
- Mexico & Caribbean
- Central & South America
- Asia Pacific
- Africa & Middle East
You can also search by “interest,” such as:
This opens up the world to deal chasers. Even if your dream vacation spot isn’t available for a low award price, you might find a deal at a nearby airport that you could leverage. For example, you may want to visit Venice, but round-trip flights cost 60,000 American Airlines miles. This tool could reveal a 34,000-mile round-trip to a neighboring city like Zurich. Round-trip flights between Zurich and Venice routinely cost $95, so it could be worth detouring to Zurich and spending $95 to save 26,000 miles.
Remember, you can earn American Airlines miles through credit card welcome bonuses such as:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® — Earn 50,000 bonus American Airlines miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first three months of account opening.
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® — Earn 65,000 bonus American Airlines miles after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first four months of account opening
Let us know what you think of the new tool. And be sure to read our post on how to redeem American Airlines miles.
Featured image by Joseph Hostetler/The Points Guy
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.