This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It looks like the Queen of the Skies may soon become the Queen of the Seas. The world’s largest eco-friendly underwater theme park is planned to open in the Middle Eastern country of Bahrain. The park, which is set to span over 100,000 square meters, will feature a decommissioned Boeing 747 as its centerpiece. The Jumbo Jet is reportedly the largest aircraft to ever be submerged.
A rendering of the site featured on the Bahraini Tourism Authority’s Instagram showed what appears to be a passenger 747-400, but it is not known at this point where the plane will come from and what model of 747 it will be. According to Emirati newspaper The National, the 747 may come from one of the planes kept at the Fujairah airport in the Emirates, where a number of cargo 747s no longer in use are stored.
Planes stored, or abandoned, in the desert often have their engines and all fluids — which would be an environmental hazard — removed.
In addition to the plane, the park will house a replica of a traditional Bahraini pearl merchant’s house, artificial coral reefs and sculptures made from eco-friendly materials.
Bahrain’s President of the Supreme Council for Environment, HH Shaikh Abdullah bin Hamad Al Khalifa, announced on Saturday that the underwater theme park “will provide a safe haven for coral reef growth and a habitat for marine life.” Bahrain aims to be a global leader in the field of ecotourism and the preservation of marine wildlife. HH Shaikh Abdullah expressed the importance of holding “the highest international environmental standards in the project.”
The underwater theme park is scheduled to open to the private sector, local dive companies and clubs in the coming weeks. Visitors will be able to take the plunge before the start of the summer.
It looks like it’s time to finally get that scuba diving certification.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees