This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
KeKe, do you love me… and my island fortress off the coast of England?
Hope so, because Drake’s Island is for sale. No, we’re not talking about Drake the rapper, but the Sir Francis Drake, the English explorer. Obviously.
The island is right off the coast of Plymouth, England, and originally served as a fort to protect the town from invaders. Looking at you, France and Spain. It’s also where the elder Drake kicked off his odyssey to circumnavigate the globe into high gear. Recently, owners have been planning to build a luxury hotel and spa complex, but if you have $7.9 million to spare, you can do with it what you please — and with six acres worth off odd buildings and pathways, we have a feeling you could have some fun with it. Oh, and did we mention the underground tunnels?
Plus, since you’ll only be a hop, skip and a jump away from the town of Plymouth and the rest of England, you presumably have the rest of the country at your fingertips when you’ve had enough isolation for the time being. It’s also home to one of Europe’s leading centers of marine science and technology.
Not convinced yet? Let Drake depart some words of wisdom upon you: YOLO.
Featured image courtesy JLL Properties.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees