This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
KeKe, do you love me… and my island fortress off the coast of England?
Hope so, because Drake’s Island is for sale. No, we’re not talking about Drake the rapper, but the Sir Francis Drake, the English explorer. Obviously.
The island is right off the coast of Plymouth, England, and originally served as a fort to protect the town from invaders. Looking at you, France and Spain. It’s also where the elder Drake kicked off his odyssey to circumnavigate the globe into high gear. Recently, owners have been planning to build a luxury hotel and spa complex, but if you have $7.9 million to spare, you can do with it what you please — and with six acres worth off odd buildings and pathways, we have a feeling you could have some fun with it. Oh, and did we mention the underground tunnels?
Plus, since you’ll only be a hop, skip and a jump away from the town of Plymouth and the rest of England, you presumably have the rest of the country at your fingertips when you’ve had enough isolation for the time being. It’s also home to one of Europe’s leading centers of marine science and technology.
Not convinced yet? Let Drake depart some words of wisdom upon you: YOLO.
Featured image courtesy JLL Properties.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees