You Can Visit Any US National Park for Free on Saturday
Grab your hiking boots and leave your cash behind! On April 21, admission to all national parks will be free. Saturday is just one of four days this year that the National Park Service will allow the public to enter all National Parks with no fee. The upcoming cost-free day marks the beginning of National Park Week, which will runs from April 21 to April 29.
Of the total 417 US National Parks, 118 parks charge an entrance fee. Admission fees normally vary from park to park, with some of the most popular like the Grand Canyon and Yosemite charging as much as $30 per car. The full list of parks with waived fees can be found on the National Parks Service website. It’s important to note that the free day solely applies to admission to the park. Visitors will still have to pay the fees for activities such as camping, boat-launching, transportation and special tours.
So, consider staying at one of these points hotels and take advantage of the gratis entry before the national parks’ fees increase this summer. Starting June 1, entrance fees at national parks across the country will climb by $5. Last year, the park service proposed to double the peak-season fee at 17 of the most highly visited parks, with some prices shooting up to $70 per vehicle from the current $30. The proposal was reconsidered, and instead, the fee will increase by only $5.
The remaining free entrance days in 2018 are National Public Land Day on September 22 and Veterans’ Day on November 11.
Featured image by Joshua Tree National Park.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.