You Can Sleep in an Actual Windmill Just Miles From Amsterdam
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve ever wanted to spend the night in a windmill, head to Amsterdam. This is no tourist gimmick — the Airbnb rental is a windmill from 1874 that has been renovated to fit up to six guests.
Located a quick drive from Amsterdam in Abcoude, the interior of this home is far from what the original millers would have experienced. The living area is decked out in blue and red furniture and fixtures with panoramic views of the surrounding countryside (complete with Delft plates and serving ware, of course). The bedrooms make the most of the original wood support beams cutting through the rooms, with cozy bedding and desk spaces. But the best part is at the very top of the windmill, where you can spot the original inner workings of the structure.
The owner of the windmill, Maarten van Dijk, discovered the seemingly abandoned space a few years back on a run near his home (he lives two miles from the rental). According to a documentary called “The Art of Windmill Maintenance,” this particular mill is part of a group of 23 owned by a single owner in the area. Dijk worked out a contract with the landlord to become the keeper of the mill near his home, as long as he maintained the interior.
While this windmill is still operational, it’s not needed to pump water to the surrounding area. All of that considered, Dijk did have to take on 550 hours of training on all types of windmill maintenance before he could rent his mill.
If you’re interested in the inner workings of big machines, the documentary below shows Dijk operating the sails:
Amsterdam is full of unique hotel experiences — hotel rooms in a crane, the Lego-esque Amsterdam Zaandam, and a secret tower, for example. But if you’re looking for something off the beaten path with great (read: quiet) views of Dutch countryside, this is worth looking into. You can even rent a bike to do a bit of exploring.
The documentary shares that Dijk does plan on living in the windmill with his wife once their own children leave home, but they will continue to rent it out until that day comes. What better reason to plan a spontaneous trip? You can read more about the rental on Airbnb.
Featured image by georgeclerk/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees