This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Pods and streaming services used to be the extent of entertainment at airports, but now Dallas/Fort Wort Airport (DFW) is challenging that. Recently, DFW added two gaming lounges to its terminals, so now you can play the most popular Xbox games while you wait for boarding time.
Gameway, the company that launched the airport lounges, has opened locations at Gate 32 in Terminal B and Gate 16 in Terminal E, landing them on opposite ends of the airport.
There are 22 gaming stations at the Terminal E location and 14 at the Gameway in Terminal B. Each is connected to an Xbox One that has 19 popular games for every type of gamer. The array includes shooting games, action games, sports games, kids games and fighting games. Yes, that means Fortnite, Call of Duty WWII, NBA2K18 and Minecraft are all available. Plus, players have the option to log on to their own accounts to play, if they please.
The company’s president, Jordan Walbridge, cites his inspiration around current gaming trends and their correlation with travel trends. He told Dallas Business Journal that “with 50 percent of Americans playing video games at least three hours per week or more, and the average gamer being a male who’s 35 and a female in their mid 40s, this demographic perfectly aligns with who is traveling at the airport.”
To play, the lounge will charge you $0.42 per minute of play or $20 for unlimited play, which seems pretty reasonable. Assuming you have a card that gives you free access to one of the lounges at DFW, the gaming lounge is a step up in price for some. Plus, it won’t feed you. However, if you don’t have one of those cards, Gameway is generally much cheaper than paying your way into a lounge that you don’t have free access to.
Just don’t get too engrossed and end up missing your flight – everyone knows that’s a rookie mistake.
Featured image by Essdras M Suarez/The Boston Globe via Getty Images
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards