This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Pods and streaming services used to be the extent of entertainment at airports, but now Dallas/Fort Wort Airport (DFW) is challenging that. Recently, DFW added two gaming lounges to its terminals, so now you can play the most popular Xbox games while you wait for boarding time.
Gameway, the company that launched the airport lounges, has opened locations at Gate 32 in Terminal B and Gate 16 in Terminal E, landing them on opposite ends of the airport.
There are 22 gaming stations at the Terminal E location and 14 at the Gameway in Terminal B. Each is connected to an Xbox One that has 19 popular games for every type of gamer. The array includes shooting games, action games, sports games, kids games and fighting games. Yes, that means Fortnite, Call of Duty WWII, NBA2K18 and Minecraft are all available. Plus, players have the option to log on to their own accounts to play, if they please.
The company’s president, Jordan Walbridge, cites his inspiration around current gaming trends and their correlation with travel trends. He told Dallas Business Journal that “with 50 percent of Americans playing video games at least three hours per week or more, and the average gamer being a male who’s 35 and a female in their mid 40s, this demographic perfectly aligns with who is traveling at the airport.”
To play, the lounge will charge you $0.42 per minute of play or $20 for unlimited play, which seems pretty reasonable. Assuming you have a card that gives you free access to one of the lounges at DFW, the gaming lounge is a step up in price for some. Plus, it won’t feed you. However, if you don’t have one of those cards, Gameway is generally much cheaper than paying your way into a lounge that you don’t have free access to.
Just don’t get too engrossed and end up missing your flight – everyone knows that’s a rookie mistake.
Featured image by Essdras M Suarez/The Boston Globe via Getty Images
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees