This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Facial recognition is becoming all the rage across the travel industry. From our smartphones to going through customs, more and more companies are using these technologies to enhance your security. Marriott International, the world’s largest hotel chain, partnered with Chinese e-commerce group Alibaba to introduce face-scanning technologies at two Marriott International properties in China.
The hotel chain announced the facial recognition pilot program with Fliggy, Alibaba’s travel service platform, on Wednesday. The tech will be available at Hangzhou Marriott Hotel Qianjiangand Sanya and Marriott Hotel Dadonghai Bay beginning in July. Depending on the trials’ success, Marriott International plans on introducing these technologies across more locations globally in the future.
Marriott said Chinese guests will need to scan their IDs, take a photo and input their contact details on a self-help machine. The device will then release room key cards after their identities and booking information are verified. The whole check-in process will take less than a minute, according to Marriott.
Marriott International also said that along with their technological enhancements, their loyalty program has grown to more than 2 million members since June 2018. Through status matching, members can now link their Marriott Rewards and Fliggy memberships to earn points and reap benefits from both programs.
Featured image by Marriott.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees