This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Facial recognition is becoming all the rage across the travel industry. From our smartphones to going through customs, more and more companies are using these technologies to enhance your security. Marriott International, the world’s largest hotel chain, partnered with Chinese e-commerce group Alibaba to introduce face-scanning technologies at two Marriott International properties in China.
The hotel chain announced the facial recognition pilot program with Fliggy, Alibaba’s travel service platform, on Wednesday. The tech will be available at Hangzhou Marriott Hotel Qianjiangand Sanya and Marriott Hotel Dadonghai Bay beginning in July. Depending on the trials’ success, Marriott International plans on introducing these technologies across more locations globally in the future.
Marriott said Chinese guests will need to scan their IDs, take a photo and input their contact details on a self-help machine. The device will then release room key cards after their identities and booking information are verified. The whole check-in process will take less than a minute, according to Marriott.
Marriott International also said that along with their technological enhancements, their loyalty program has grown to more than 2 million members since June 2018. Through status matching, members can now link their Marriott Rewards and Fliggy memberships to earn points and reap benefits from both programs.
Featured image by Marriott.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards