You Can Now Check in With Your Face at Some Marriott Hotels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Facial recognition is becoming all the rage across the travel industry. From our smartphones to going through customs, more and more companies are using these technologies to enhance your security. Marriott International, the world’s largest hotel chain, partnered with Chinese e-commerce group Alibaba to introduce face-scanning technologies at two Marriott International properties in China.
The hotel chain announced the facial recognition pilot program with Fliggy, Alibaba’s travel service platform, on Wednesday. The tech will be available at Hangzhou Marriott Hotel Qianjiangand Sanya and Marriott Hotel Dadonghai Bay beginning in July. Depending on the trials’ success, Marriott International plans on introducing these technologies across more locations globally in the future.
Marriott said Chinese guests will need to scan their IDs, take a photo and input their contact details on a self-help machine. The device will then release room key cards after their identities and booking information are verified. The whole check-in process will take less than a minute, according to Marriott.
Marriott International also said that along with their technological enhancements, their loyalty program has grown to more than 2 million members since June 2018. Through status matching, members can now link their Marriott Rewards and Fliggy memberships to earn points and reap benefits from both programs.
Featured image by Marriott.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.