You Can Buy Other Travelers’ Lost Ski Gear at This Sale
This weekend, other travelers’ losses can be your gain — especially if you’re planning to hit the slopes this season.
On Saturday, Alabama’s Unclaimed Baggage Center is having its annual winter and ski gear sale. Meaning that this weekend, you can sift through up to 9,000 discounted items, including unclaimed skis, snowboards, helmets, jackets and more — all courtesy of various US airlines baggage departments. Or, perhaps, the travelers whose valuables were lost (don’t worry, those were compensated by the airlines, and hopefully had one of these credit cards that offer delayed baggage insurance, too).
The Unclaimed Baggage center, located in Scottsboro, Alabama, has its own unique spin on “thrifting.” It’s inventory consists solely of items that airline carriers have had longer than the 90-day holding limit. Boasting everything from designer winter gear such as Columbia, Marmot, Patagonia and The North Face to oddities like moose antlers, a full suit of armor and coffins (yes you read that correctly), the shop receives 7,000 new sale items from airlines every day.
The winter sale, which will take place on Saturday, Nov. 3, has been up and running for the past 37 years and offers discounts from 20% to 80% off original retail prices. The store has a set itinerary for the special winter sale. Pre-shopping activities kick off at 6am with parking lot games such as gift card and clothing raffles and a few rounds of “Musical Coolers.” The sale itself will commence at 8am sharp. To keep up shoppers’ stamina, the store will also be providing complimentary pizza, drinks, popcorn and s’mores to pick at while browsing the aisles.
Featured image by Jeffrey Greenberg/UIG via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.