You Can Buy Other Travelers’ Lost Ski Gear at This Sale
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This weekend, other travelers’ losses can be your gain — especially if you’re planning to hit the slopes this season.
On Saturday, Alabama’s Unclaimed Baggage Center is having its annual winter and ski gear sale. Meaning that this weekend, you can sift through up to 9,000 discounted items, including unclaimed skis, snowboards, helmets, jackets and more — all courtesy of various US airlines baggage departments. Or, perhaps, the travelers whose valuables were lost (don’t worry, those were compensated by the airlines, and hopefully had one of these credit cards that offer delayed baggage insurance, too).
The Unclaimed Baggage center, located in Scottsboro, Alabama, has its own unique spin on “thrifting.” It’s inventory consists solely of items that airline carriers have had longer than the 90-day holding limit. Boasting everything from designer winter gear such as Columbia, Marmot, Patagonia and The North Face to oddities like moose antlers, a full suit of armor and coffins (yes you read that correctly), the shop receives 7,000 new sale items from airlines every day.
The winter sale, which will take place on Saturday, Nov. 3, has been up and running for the past 37 years and offers discounts from 20% to 80% off original retail prices. The store has a set itinerary for the special winter sale. Pre-shopping activities kick off at 6am with parking lot games such as gift card and clothing raffles and a few rounds of “Musical Coolers.” The sale itself will commence at 8am sharp. To keep up shoppers’ stamina, the store will also be providing complimentary pizza, drinks, popcorn and s’mores to pick at while browsing the aisles.
Featured image by Jeffrey Greenberg/UIG via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees