WWII Plane and Pilot’s Remains Found by Boy in Denmark
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Daniel Kristiansen and his father, Klaus, were searching for historical artifacts on their farm near Birkelse, Denmark, when they stumbled upon a German WWII plane complete with the pilot’s remains still in the cockpit.
The pair set out with a metal detector as part of a project for the 14-year-old boy’s history class when they came across the debris.
“I hoped we might find some old plates or something for Daniel to show in school,” Klaus Kristiansen said. But what they found there in a field in northern Denmark was something much more interesting: a Messerschmitt fighter plane, according to CNN.
With the help of a neighbor’s excavator, the father and son dug into the ground to see what more they could find and “suddenly came across bones and pieces of clothes,” Kristiansen said, whose grandfather told him once that a plane crashed on the property during the war, likely in the winter of 1944.
The pilot’s remains and possessions — three unused condoms and the pilot’s wallet, which contained Danish coins and food stamps for an Aalborg base canteen — have been moved to the Historical Museum of Northern Jutland, where historians hope to be able to identify the pilot.
“We found the pilot’s papers, and I think we have a name,” said Torben Sarauw, museum curator and head of archaeology. “It’s quite a special find.”
To be safe, “An explosive ordinance team is now working at the site to secure any ammunition or other dangerous materials,” reports CNN. No word yet if the expert sleuthing scored the boy an A+ on his school project.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees