Using the Wrong Award Search Engine — Reader Mistake Story
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today, I want to share a story from TPG reader Amy, who missed an opportunity to redeem miles on a recent flight:
We put our AAdvantage miles to good use in booking round-trip tickets to Brazil in 2018, but we also needed to fly LATAM within Brazil to visit Iguazu Falls from Rio. I was aware that LATAM was a oneworld alliance partner, and that domestic economy trips in Brazil cost 7,500 miles one-way, so I went to AA.com to see if I could book that flight as award travel using my AAdvantage miles.
Unfortunately, LATAM did not come up on the website during my attempted award booking, so I ended up buying our tickets using a credit card. Later, I found out that all I needed to do was call American Airlines to book the LATAM tickets as an award over the phone. I hope your readers will learn from my mistake and be aware that you may be able to redeem miles on American Airlines partners even if the flights are not available online.
Many airlines let you redeem miles for flights not only on their own metal, but also on a variety of partners. However, finding and booking partner awards isn’t always straightforward, since award space may be obscured depending on where you look. You generally won’t see all your options in one place, so learning where to search for availability is key to mastering the art of award travel.
American Airlines has improved its online partner award booking options over the past six months, doubling the number of airlines that show up in AAdvantage search results. However, several key partners like LATAM, JAL and Cathay Pacific are still absent. To find those awards, try searching either through British Airways (on BA.com) or Qantas (on Qantas.com). Once you find the seats you want, you can call American Airlines reservations and feed the flight information to an AAdvantage phone agent. They’ll typically waive the $35 phone booking fee for awards that can’t be booked online, but only upon request, so make sure you ask!
I appreciate this story, and I hope it can help other readers avoid making the same mistake. In appreciation for sharing this experience (and for allowing me to post it online), I’m sending Amy a $200 airline gift card to enjoy on future travels, and I’d like to do the same for you. Please email your own travel mistake stories to firstname.lastname@example.org, and put “Reader Mistake Story” in the subject line. Tell us how things went wrong, and (where applicable) how you made them right. Offer any wisdom you gained from the experience, and explain what the rest of us can do to avoid the same pitfalls.
Feel free to also submit your best travel success stories. If your story is published in either case, I’ll send you a gift to jump-start your next adventure. I look forward to hearing from you, and until then, I wish you a safe and mistake-free journey!
Featured image via Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees