WOW CEO Already Eyeing a Return to the Skies
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Skúli Mogensen, the founder and CEO of now bankrupt WOW air, is laying the groundwork to get airborne again. Fréttablaðið is reporting that Mogensen is seeking investors to raise $40 million to purchase the assets of the failed airline and start flying again using the same low-cost model.
Under the proposed plan, Mogensen and other former WOW air employees would own 51% of the new venture and hope to raise the $40 million investment needed by selling off the other 49% of the new company.
The new airline would operate four A321-200neo aircraft along with a single A320-200neo. Those aircraft would be used to operate routes to 13 destinations, including to the US from Reykjavik’s Keflavík Airport (KEF).
Mogensen says the new airline could be up and running by June should they find investors. With the collapse of WOW air and the resulting stranding of passengers, it’s not clear if the traveling public will be ready to put their trust, not to mention travel dollars, into Mogensen’s new venture.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo by WOW air
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.