This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last September, WOW began flights between its hub in Reykjavik (KEF) and Tel Aviv — operating a narrow-body Airbus A321 on the route three times a week. WOW will terminate service after its last flight from Tel Aviv to Iceland lands on October 25, according to Routes Online.
Haaretz reports that the airline wants to focus on other new destinations in North America and India and cited other “operational, logistical and commercial considerations” for the service termination.
WOW told Haaretz that it’s been “highly satisfied” with its Israel route, and it hopes to reinstate service next summer. It will continue to operate normally until it ends flights in October. Since WOW said it wants to reinstate service next summer, it’s likely that the route wasn’t profitable during the winter months, and the airline wants the aircraft for more financially rewarding destinations.
The ultra-low cost carrier set-up shop in 2011 and has expanded rapidly, especially over the past two years — finding success in the transatlantic market with its incredibly low fares. It offered cheap flights to Israel, sometimes below $300 round-trip, a destination typically known to be quite expensive to get to from the US.
Fortunately, using points can still get you to Israel on the cheap — like redeeming just 25,000 Flying Blue miles to fly from North America to the Middle East. Israeli airline El Al recently received its new Boeing 787s with refreshed cabins, which it flies to Newark (EWR) and will soon begin service to Miami (MIA) and Los Angeles (LAX). United also operates its Polaris equipped Boeing 777-300ER from Newark and San Francisco (SFO) to Tel Aviv.
Featured image courtesy of Anna Zvereva via Flickr.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that