This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Icelandic ultra-low-cost carrier Wow Air has released new details regarding its potential partnership with its latest proposed financial savior, private equity firm Indigo Partners. [Update, 3/28/2019: WOW Air has ceased operations. Find our ongoing coverage of WOW Air’s collapse, and what affected passengers can do about it, here.]
According to a Jan. 9 letter to Wow Air bondholders obtained by Air Transport World, Wow founder and CEO Skuli Mogensen says Indigo is set to take a 49% stake in the struggling carrier in the form of a convertible loan. Wow has been struggling to get its financial house in order over the past few months, making cuts to both its routes and fleet. Despite its financial strife, Wow has not stopped announcing new cheap fares, like $49 tickets from US cities to Europe.
Indigo partners stepped up at the end 2018 to signal its interest in the Reykjavik-based airline. The latest announcement is now giving more details surrounding that possible arrangement. Under the current agreement, Indigo is set to invest as much as $75 million in Wow. At the time of the first announcement, there was no indication as to how big of a stake in the airline that sum would give Indigo. The loan would have a 10-year maturity, and the total amount invested will depend on the actual needs of the airline. That initial ownership stake could be increased during the term of the loan from Indigo.
The airline and Indigo are still in negotiations on how to deal with a current outstanding loan “from a current shareholder,” who is most likely Mogensen, who said in the past he has floated the airline at least 5.5 million euro to keep it afloat. Negotiations are focused around converting that current loan to equity or leaving the loan in place before Indigo finalizes its investment.
H/T: ATW Online
Featured Photo by Wow Air.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*