Heavy storms snarling travel, leaving thousands affected across the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers across the country faced disruptions as storms pummeled both coasts during the busy post-Thanksgiving travel window days of travel.
FlightAware’s Misery Map shows airports throughout the east suffering heavy delays and cancellations as noon ET on Monday. In the West, San Francisco-bound travelers are seeing delays of up to 2 hours and 45 minutes due to heavy wind and rain lashing the coast, the Federal Aviation Administration’s delay map showed Monday morning.
Nationwide, more than 450 flights had been canceled Monday and another 2,300 delayed as of 12:10 p.m., according to flight-tracking service FlightAware.
The disruptions come amid the last of the Thanksgiving rush, with Monday packed with extra flights and travelers as the last holiday travelers return home. Monday’s problems follow a difficult day on Sunday. FlightAware said more than 950 flights were canceled and a whopping 8,799 delayed, creating headaches for flyers from coast to coast on the busiest travel day of the Thanksgiving period.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The messy weather was expected to continue into Tuesday in New England, where more than a foot of snow was expected. Major U.S. airlines United, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue and Southwest have issued weather waivers for dozens of airports across the country. Unfortunately for West Coast travelers, United is the only airline thus far offering a weather waiver for travel, despite the severe conditions.
Just since Sunday, more than 11,00 flights have been delayed in the U.S. while more than 1,400 have been canceled. The timing couldn’t have been worse for this weather, as the Thanksgiving holiday was expected to break records to become the busiest travel days — ever.
East Coast airports were especially hard hit on Monday. Dozens of delays were reported at airports like New York LaGuardia, Newark Liberty, Boston ,Philadelphia and Toronto. In upstate New York, Albany’s airport faced significant cancellations amid heavy snow. Residual delays were slowing flights at Midwestern airports Chicago O’Hare and Detroit.
On the opposite coast, San Francisco more than 10% of the entire day’s schedule was running late, according to FlightAware.
Unfortunately for many, the severe weather is extra inconvienient, with the end of the holiday and the need to return to work looming large. For those affected it could pay to check which credit card you used for your ticket purchase — some credit cards offer significant trip protection benefits for delayed or canceled flights.
Featured photo by John Moore/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees