Why I’m still traveling with COVID-19 tests
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After two years, the COVID-19 testing requirement for travel to the U.S. has finally been dropped, which means there’s one less hurdle for international travelers. However, if you’re like me, you still have several unused eMed proctored tests. Is it time to stash them in the back of the closet?
That’s not what I’m doing. Here’s why:
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
There’s still a risk of getting COVID-19
One of the most obvious reasons I still travel with COVID-19 tests is because the pandemic is far from over. In the U.S., we’re still averaging around 100,000 cases per day.
Travelers need to be prepared, which is why I’m thinking ahead. I certainly hope to never catch COVID-19 on a trip, but it could happen. Smart travelers need to be ready for that very real possibility. If I test positive, I will want to test myself regularly until I’m once again testing negative. Because of that, I need to carry at least three or four COVID-19 tests.
When I travel, I take at least one eMed proctored test and my NHS Trace & Test box, which was given to me for free during my last trip to London. The NHS box is portable, at about six inches long, and it includes about half a dozen tests.
Some countries still ask for negative COVID-19 test results
As you know, each country has specific COVID-19 requirements. COVID-19 testing requirements still remain in place throughout the world, particularly for unvaccinated travelers. Even if you plan to travel to a country that doesn’t have a COVID-19 testing requirement, your plans could change. With a proctored test on hand, you have additional flexibility to travel as you please.
You definitely don’t want to find yourself in a situation where you can’t board a plane because you don’t have a negative COVID-19 test result on hand.
The requirement could come back at any point
Perhaps the most obvious reason to travel with a COVID-19 proctored test is that the testing requirement could come back at any time without significant advance notice — even though it might be unlikely. And there’s a chance that if the testing requirement returns, there would be a shortage of COVID-19 proctored tests.
As a result, when my fellow U.S.-bound travelers scurry to get tested, I’ll be ready to go.
Just because COVID-19 testing is no longer required for travelers bound for the U.S., that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t pack a few COVID-19 tests. I wouldn’t go out and buy new proctored tests today. However, if you still have some unused tests, there’s no harm in throwing one into your backpack before you leave for the airport.
Featured photo by Oliver Helbig via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees