What Today’s Snow Squall Looked Like In New York City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Wednesday, as Arctic-like winds slammed cities across the US Midwest, NYC metropolitan area residents got 20 minutes of very, very intense snow, wind and cold. This was officially called a snow “squall,” which, according to Merriam-Webster, is a “sudden violent wind often with rain or snow,” and came with little warning other than a tweet from NYC mayor Bill DeBlasio.
We’re expecting a winter squall this afternoon. It could be very brief and very concentrated — maybe only 15-30 minutes — but it will be very intense and may cause whiteout conditions.
— Mayor Bill de Blasio (@NYCMayor) January 30, 2019
Indeed, in a matter of what seemed like seconds, and clearing up as suddenly as it began, violent winds reaching up to 50 mph dumped snow onto New York City streets, halting air traffic, highways and no doubt pedestrians who were unable to find cover. Unlike other high-velocity wind storms, a “squall” specifically means that winds are constantly changing, making low-flying air travel particularly precarious.
Since most of us here at TPG were fortunate enough to be safely indoors, we took to Twitter to see what the storm looked like around the city. The video below, taken near Manhattan’s Hudson Yards, illustrates the storm’s speed and intensity as it moves across the Hudson River and into the city.
— Jordan ThompsonDeSon (@JordanEmpire) January 30, 2019
Across the island, near Manhattan’s Lower East side, the Williamsburg Bridge turned only halfway-visible, with Brooklyn completely shrouded in clouds, in what more resembles an apocalyptic movie scene than a snow storm.
— suzannahtroy (@suzannahtroy) January 30, 2019
Just a few miles away in Queens, LaGuardia airport didn’t look much better.
— Chris Zaberto (@zaberto) January 30, 2019
And what did it look like at TPG HQ? Something like this…
— New York Metro Weather (@nymetrowx) January 30, 2019
Here’s to our new favorite word for our less-than-favorite weather event: the squall.
Featured image courtesy of @suzannahtroy on Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees