What to expect at the 2021 TPG Awards — starting next week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’re just one week away from the start of the 2021 TPG Awards, and the team is hard at work preparing a variety of content for this year’s set of themed weeks. Like 2020, we’re keeping things virtual this year — but there’s still a lot to come across our site and social media channels as we recognize the travel companies and brands that stood tall this year.
Here’s what you can expect starting Monday, Nov. 1.
Sign-up for the TPG daily newsletter so you don’t miss out on anything related to the 2021 TPG Awards.
Schedule of themed weeks
As noted above, the awards kick off on Monday, Nov. 1, with the first of our three themed weeks. We’ve shifted things up a bit this year and consolidated some of our content, so here’s what the schedule looks like:
- Airlines Week — Monday, Nov. 1 through Friday, Nov. 5
- Travel Week — Monday, Nov. 8 through Friday, Nov. 12
- Credit Cards Week — Monday, Nov. 15 through Friday, Nov. 19
Our first week will highlight everything related to airlines and airports, while our second week includes hotels, destinations and cruise lines. Then our final week features one of our favorite topics here at TPG — credit cards — just in time for the start of the holiday shopping season.
So … what will you see during each of these weeks?
Readers’ Choice awards
At the beginning of each themed week, we’ll launch details on the 23 Readers’ Choice honors winners as voted by you, our readers. The ballot was open from Sept. 13 through Oct. 15 and saw a ton of engagement. The awards being doled out this year include our usual categories — like recognizing the best airline and hotel loyalty programs along with the top credit cards. However, we added some new ones this year, including:
- Best U.S. National Park
- Best River Cruise Line
- Best Domestic Airport Lounge Network
Speaking of airports, we’re also giving out four brand-new awards to our readers’ favorite spots to catch a flight — one each for the best large, midsized and small airports in the U.S. and then another one for the top international gateway.
And without giving too much away, there are some potential surprises to come, so make sure to tune in for this year’s award winners.
Related: Recap of the 2020 TPG Awards
Editors’ Choice awards
But we’re not limiting the honors to reader-selected ones. Our editorial team has also identified a slate of additional awards for deserving brands. Here’s a run-down of those trophies we’ll be handing out over the next few weeks:
|Themed week||Editors’ Choice awards|
|Airlines Week||Investment in Airline Loyalty
Best New Business-Class Cabin
|Travel Week||Most Welcoming Destination of 2021
Best New Expedition Ship
Best New Cruise-Ship Cabin
|Credit Cards Week||Best Credit Card Perk
Best New Credit Card
Best Refreshed Credit Card
Best Transferable Point Currency
Best Standalone Credit Card
Some of these awards created significant debates among team members, so there may not be obvious winners for each. We’ll announce these throughout each week, so be sure you’re following our site and social media channels for all of the latest updates.
Speaking of which …
Content on site and social media
In addition to recognizing the award winners each week, our editorial and social media teams will launch a variety of content throughout the week. On the site, this will run the gamut from 2021 recaps to look-ahead industry analyses to reader stories with memorable travel experiences from this year.
And our social team has a ton of fun lined up, like Facebook Live roundtables with our editors to discuss our readers’ picks for the awards and walkthroughs of some of our industry favorites.
2021 has had its share of ups and downs for the travel and loyalty industries, but there’s a lot to be excited about as we look forward to 2022 (and beyond).
Live virtual events
Finally, just like last year, we’re working on a slate of virtual events to launch during each themed week. This may include webinars and Instagram Live sessions — along with a repeat of last year’s trivia event during the final week of the awards.
Stay tuned for specific announcements of these events.
There’s a lot to look forward to at this year’s TPG Awards. If you’re not already on our mailing list, be sure to sign up today to stay informed of everything to come. You can also follow The Points Guy on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date information on the 2021 awards.
Then, be sure to come back on Monday, Nov. 1 as we kick things off with Airlines Week.
Featured image by The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees