What to Do If You’ve Been Affected by the Alitalia Strike
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Italian flag carrier Alitalia has canceled more than 300 flights Tuesday due to employee strikes. The strikes have disrupted the travel plans of thousands of passengers and resulted in flight cancellations into Wednesday.
Alitalia ground staff strikes have interfered with other carriers like British Airways and EasyJet, who have also scrapped a number of flights into Italy.
Labor strikes are a common occurrence in Europe, so if you’ve been affected by this most recent round of strikes, how can you make the best out of a bad situation?
You can find the list of canceled Alitalia flights here and passengers can choose to rebook their flights at no extra cost or claim a full refund, if their flight is canceled or delayed more than five hours, TPG UK reports.
But what about being protected under European Regulation 261/2004 that forces airlines to provide compensation for lengthy delays or cancellations? In our story from last year, Are You Entitled to Compensation If Your Flight Is Canceled Due to a Strike, we reported that only certain types of strikes are covered under EU 261. Specifically, airlines are required to compensate for wildcat strikes, or strikes not initiated by a union. However, this strike was initiated by Alitalia’s workers’ unions, so it will likely not be eligible for compensation. That being said, the airline still has to reimburse you for incidentals and lodging.
There’s still hope though, if you’d paid for your flight with a credit card that offers trip delay or cancellation insurance, you may be protected. Cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred and Citi Prestige all offer great trip cancellation and interruption protection. And if you’ve purchased independent trip insurance, you can check with your policy provider to see if your plan covers strikes.
If you’re in the midst of being affected, it’s important to pay for expenses with a credit card that has insurance and document all your costs along the way.
Featured photo by Giuseppe Ciccia/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees