WestJet Details Inaugural Dreamliner Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
WestJet filed intended routes Tuesday for its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners, which will arrive in 2019. Canada’s second-largest airline placed an initial order for 10 Dreamliners in 2017, adding 10 more later on. WestJet is expecting to take delivery of its first Dreamliner in early 2019, and has now set its inaugural flight for April 28.
The initial routes connect Calgary with European cities, beginning with London Gatwick in late April and adding on Paris (CDG) in May, as well as Dublin on June 1, 2019.
Calgary (YYC) ⇔ London Gatwick (LGW) — Daily, beginning April 28, 2019
Calgary (YYC)⇔ Paris (CDG) — 3-4 times per week, beginning May 17, 2019
Calgary (YYC)⇔ Dublin (DUB) — 2-3 times per week, beginning June 1, 2019.
These Dreamliners represent significant opportunity for expansion for WestJet, with additional routes planned for Asia and South America down the road, per the airline’s press release in 2017.
WestJet currently operates a fleet almost entirely comprised of Boeing 737s. Four leased Boeing 767s serve its long-haul routes to London (LGW), Kahului (OGG) and Honolulu (HNL) as well as the airline’s seasonal flights to Dublin (DUB) and Glasgow (GLA). Outside of these three European destinations, WestJet only currently operates flights intra-Canada, to the US and to various leisure destinations in Central America.
On the 787, you can expect to find business class, premium economy and economy. The business-class cabin is composed of 16 lie-flat seats in a preferable 1-2-1 configuration, offering every passenger direct aisle access.
Premium economy will feature 28 seats in a 2-3-2 configuration, and economy will have more than 84 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration.
*Correction: This story has been updated to reflect that the economy cabin will feature more than 84 seats.
Featured photo courtesy of WestJet.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.