This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When it comes to Canadian airlines, Air Canada is almost always first to come to mind. But WestJet is about to jump in as a major player in the international market, as it begins to take delivery of its new long-haul fleet.
The airline has 10 787-9 Dreamliners on the way, with the option to add 10 more down the line. And WestJet’s first 787 is coming along nicely, beginning the final assembly process at Boeing’s Everett, Washington facility.
This first 787 should enter WestJet’s fleet early next year, with the aircraft’s inaugural passenger flight scheduled for April 28, 2019, replacing the carrier’s 767 and launching daily service from Calgary (YYC) to London-Gatwick (LGW). The Dreamliner will also fly from YYC to Paris (CDG), beginning May 17, and to Dublin (DUB) as of June 1, 2019. See this post for more details on WestJet’s initial Dreamliner destinations.
WestJet’s Dreamliner introduction will elevate the transatlantic experience, with brand-new 1-2-1 seats in business class, while hopefully driving down fares from Canada. Still, even if WestJet does exercise all of its 787 options, the airline’s Dreamliner fleet will fall short of Air Canada’s — the country’s flag carrier currently operates a total of 35 Boeing 787s, plus another 25 Boeing 777s, 8 Airbus A330s and a half-dozen 767-300s.
Featured image courtesy of WestJet via Twitter.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees