WestJet Shares Photos of First Dreamliner Assembly in Everett
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When it comes to Canadian airlines, Air Canada is almost always first to come to mind. But WestJet is about to jump in as a major player in the international market, as it begins to take delivery of its new long-haul fleet.
The airline has 10 787-9 Dreamliners on the way, with the option to add 10 more down the line. And WestJet’s first 787 is coming along nicely, beginning the final assembly process at Boeing’s Everett, Washington facility.
This first 787 should enter WestJet’s fleet early next year, with the aircraft’s inaugural passenger flight scheduled for April 28, 2019, replacing the carrier’s 767 and launching daily service from Calgary (YYC) to London-Gatwick (LGW). The Dreamliner will also fly from YYC to Paris (CDG), beginning May 17, and to Dublin (DUB) as of June 1, 2019. See this post for more details on WestJet’s initial Dreamliner destinations.
WestJet’s Dreamliner introduction will elevate the transatlantic experience, with brand-new 1-2-1 seats in business class, while hopefully driving down fares from Canada. Still, even if WestJet does exercise all of its 787 options, the airline’s Dreamliner fleet will fall short of Air Canada’s — the country’s flag carrier currently operates a total of 35 Boeing 787s, plus another 25 Boeing 777s, 8 Airbus A330s and a half-dozen 767-300s.
Featured image courtesy of WestJet via Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees