WestJet Shares Photos of First Dreamliner Assembly in Everett
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When it comes to Canadian airlines, Air Canada is almost always first to come to mind. But WestJet is about to jump in as a major player in the international market, as it begins to take delivery of its new long-haul fleet.
The airline has 10 787-9 Dreamliners on the way, with the option to add 10 more down the line. And WestJet’s first 787 is coming along nicely, beginning the final assembly process at Boeing’s Everett, Washington facility.
This first 787 should enter WestJet’s fleet early next year, with the aircraft’s inaugural passenger flight scheduled for April 28, 2019, replacing the carrier’s 767 and launching daily service from Calgary (YYC) to London-Gatwick (LGW). The Dreamliner will also fly from YYC to Paris (CDG), beginning May 17, and to Dublin (DUB) as of June 1, 2019. See this post for more details on WestJet’s initial Dreamliner destinations.
WestJet’s Dreamliner introduction will elevate the transatlantic experience, with brand-new 1-2-1 seats in business class, while hopefully driving down fares from Canada. Still, even if WestJet does exercise all of its 787 options, the airline’s Dreamliner fleet will fall short of Air Canada’s — the country’s flag carrier currently operates a total of 35 Boeing 787s, plus another 25 Boeing 777s, 8 Airbus A330s and a half-dozen 767-300s.
Featured image courtesy of WestJet via Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.