WestJet Announces New Reward Tiers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Changes to WestJet’s rewards program took effect on December 12, 2018, including a new top-tier level of Platinum for those spending more than $8,000 on flights and WestJet vacation packages. For those not meeting that top-tier spend, there were changes and improvements to other tiers in the program as well. All tiers count 100% of the cost of base fares and 20% of eligible vacation packages towards your total spend in a given program year.
The Teal tier covers anyone spending less than $3,000. Teal members will have an earn rate of just .5% of their spend being converted to WestJet dollars.
For those spending between $3,000 and $4,999 you will be upgraded to the Silver tier. Silver members can expect to earn WestJet dollars at a rate of 3% on their yearly spend for flights. Vacation packages will net you only a 1% return converting to WestJet dollars. Silver members can also look forward to two free checked bags, four vouchers for advanced seat selection and four vouchers for lounge access. This tier also grants priority check-in at the airport and boards with Zone 2.
The Gold tier is attained with a spend between $5,000 and $7,999. This is $1,000 less than before, making this status an easier get for those who found themselves in that $5,000-$6,000 range in previous years. Gold will earn you 5% on WestJet flights and 1.5% on vacation packages. Gold members can look forward to two free checked bags, six advanced seat selection vouchers and 10 lounge access vouchers. Passengers will be able to access priority check-in, priority security screening at certain airports and have a higher priority for complimentary upgrades when they purchase a EconoFlex fare. Gold members also have early access to purchase upgrades to premium seating. Gold members will board with Zone 1.
The newly announced Platinum tier is for those spending more than $8,000. This tier comes with the most benefits, including an earn rate of 8% on your spend on flights and 2% on vacation packages. Platinum members are allowed up to three free checked bags and are eligible for priority check-in, security screening and Zone 1 boarding once reaching the gate. This top tier comes with unlimited advanced seat selection and 10 vouchers for airport lounge access. Tier members will also enjoy the highest priority for complimentary upgrades on flights.
Once you have stocked your account with those WestJet dollars, redemption is pretty straightforward. One WestJet dollar is equal to one Canadian dollar. You can use WestJet dollars for redemptions on WestJet.com or by calling to book flights and vacation packages directly. You will still have to cover taxes, fees and other charges with actual cash. WestJet partners include Delta, Aeromexico and Qantas. If you are looking to pool WestJet dollars with someone else’s account, you can transfer between accounts for a fee ranging between $50-59 per transfer.
WestJet is launching service from Calgary (YYC) to Dublin (DUB), Paris (CDG) and London (LGW) starting in mid-2019. The routes will be serviced by a new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner fleet.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.