AA, Delta, Frontier, Southwest Issue Travel Waivers Ahead of Snow Storm
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After dumping a record 40 inches of snow at Flagstaff airport, a strong winter storm dubbed Quiana by The Weather Channel is sweeping east. Flights are expected to be impacted through the weekend in the Plains and Midwest due to potentially blizzard-like conditions.
In Tucson on Friday, a reporter caught a glimpse of the rare heavy snowfall at the airport — and the de-icing crews trying to keep up:
Thankfully, you’ve got options if you’re traveling this weekend — even if you didn’t book the trip with a credit card that provides trip delay expense reimbursement from weather-related delays and cancellations.
Many airlines have issued travel waivers that allow flexible travelers the option to rebook their flights — whether that’s through a different connecting airport or on a different travel date. After all, airlines don’t want you stuck sleeping on the airport floor either.
Through 10am ET Saturday, you have change fee waiver options on American, Delta, Frontier and Southwest for flights Feb. 23 and onward:
- Travel dates: Feb. 23-24
- Airports covered: Appleton, Wisconsin (ATW); Cedar Rapids, Iowa (CID); Des Moines, Iowa (DSM); Dubuque, Iowa (DBQ); Duluth, Minnesota (DLH); Grand Island, Nebraska (GRI); Green Bay, Wisconsin (GRB); La Crosse, Wisconsin (LSE); Madison, Wisconsin (MSN); Marquette, Michigan (MQT); Milwaukee, Wisconsin (MKE); Minneapolis / St. Paul, Minnesota (MSP); Moline, Illinois (MLI); Omaha, Nebraska (OMA); Rochester, Minnesota (RST); Sioux City, Iowa (SUX); Sioux Falls, South Dakota (FSD); Traverse City, Michigan (TVC); Waterloo, Iowa (ALO); Wausau, Wisconsin (CWA)
- Must have purchased your ticket by Feb. 22
- Rebook travel anytime between Feb. 23-27
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin or pay the difference.
- Avoid the phone queue. Changes available on both AA’s website and in the AA app.
- Travel dates: Feb. 23-24
- Airports covered: Appleton, WI (ATW); Brainerd, MN (BRD); Des Moines, IA (DSM); Duluth, MN (DLH); Escanaba, MI (ESC); Green Bay, WI (GRB); Iron Mountain, MI (IMT); La Crosse, WI (LSE); Lincoln, NE (LNK); Marquette, MI (MQT); Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP); Omaha, NE (OMA); Pellston, MI (PLN); Rhinelander, WI (RHI); Rochester, MN (RST); Sault Ste Marie, MI (CIU); Sioux Falls, SD (FSD); Wausau, WI (CWA)
- Ticket must be reissued on or before: Feb. 27
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: Feb. 27
- Must have purchased ticket by: Feb. 22
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond Feb. 27, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- Travel date: Feb. 23
- Airports covered: Cedar Rapids, IA (CID); Des Moines, IA (DSM); Madison, WI (MSN); Milwaukee, WI (MKE); Minneapolis, MN (MSP); Omaha, NE (OMA); Sioux Falls, SD (FSD)
- Original travel must have been booked on or before Feb. 22
- Travel must be completed no later than March 8
- Customers may make one itinerary change – rules/restrictions regardimng standard change fees, advance purchase, day or time applications, blackouts, and minimum or maximum stay requirements will be waived.
- Origin and destination cities may be changed
- Airports covered (Feb. 23): Chicago, IL (MDW); Cincinnati, OH (CVG); Grand Rapids, MI (GRR)
- Airports covered (Feb. 23-24): Des Moines, IA (DSM); Milwaukee, WI (MKE); Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP); Omaha, NE (OMA)
- Travel date: Feb. 23
- Airports covered: Birmingham, AL (BHM); Little Rock, AR (LIT); Louisville, KY (SDF); Memphis, TN (MEM); Nashville, TN (BNA)
Customers who are holding reservations to/from/through the cities above on the corresponding dates may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with [Southwest’s] accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.
No current waivers (yet) from: Alaska, JetBlue, Spirit, United
Protect Your Travels
This winter storm is another reminder to book flights with a card that offers solid trip delay and cancellation insurance. Cards with solid trip protection include the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees