Watch the Northern Lights Dance Across the Sky in Finland
It’s prime viewing season for the celestial spectacle known as the Northern Lights, and they were recently captured dancing across the sky in the Arctic Circle in Finland.
OTHERWORLDLY SPECTACLE: Magnificent display as the Northern Lights are seen dancing across the night sky over Lehtojarvi, on the Arctic Circle in Finland. https://t.co/xrtuomZBqZ pic.twitter.com/OPYQCGuRX6
— ABC News (@ABC) March 1, 2019
It’s impossible to predict exactly when the aurora borealis will appear, but it’s essential that certain conditions are met. Most importantly, they can only be seen in a completely dark sky with little to no light pollution. That’s why you’re more likely to spot them in the cold winter months, when the days are short and the nights are long. The sky has to be clear, too, without snow, rain or clouds in sight.
Instagram influencer Nicole Isaacs posted a time-lapse video of the Northern Lights as seen from the Northern Lights Village in Saariselkã, Finland. “I still can’t believe this happened outside my cabin window and things like this exist,” she wrote, adding that the hotel had aurora alarms to alert guests of sightings.
View this post on Instagram
AURORA TIME LAPSE ✨💫✨💫✨ I still can’t believe this happened outside my cabin window and things like this exist. I got to give credit to @MichaelMoretti who captured this time lapse of the Northern lights. You made my aurora dreams come true! We got 3 nights of lights while I’ve been here in Finland and can not be more grateful 🙏🏽 Thank goodness @northernlightsvillage had aurora alarms to let us know when the lights came, no matter what time in the night! There’s supposed to be an incredible light show tomorrow night which is my last night here. Hopefully I get to see something one more time before I leave! Hope you guys have been enjoying my stories so far….lots of reindeer, huskey’s, wolves, polar bears, Arctic Fox and other fun stuff ❄️🇫🇮☺️ I really love this beautiful country and can’t wait to share more of what we captured here!
A post shared by Nicole Isaacs (@nicoleisaacs) on
If you’re hankering to see the Northern Lights, it’s not too late. There are plenty of extreme ways to see them, from staying in an igloo hotel in Greenland to hiking through the Canadian tundra. If you have a night flight to or from Alaska, Northern Canada, Greenway, Norway, Sweden, Finland or Iceland, you might even be able to spot them from the plane.
Featured photo via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.