This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers in the waiting area of a Philippines airport experienced some unexpected excitement Sunday. Video from bystander Leon Quintos Añover at Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport in Tacloban (TAC) shows travelers screaming, laughing and hopping up onto chairs to get away from a black sidewinding snake, which appears to be just as terrified of them. Amid the commotion, airport officials were able to corral the snake into a large plastic trash bag using a pole.
Nobody seems to know where the snake came from or can identify its species, and TPG has not been able to verify what happened to the snake afterward. Commenters on Añover’s Facebook post have speculated that someone may have been trying to smuggle the reptile to Manila for sale, although it’s also possible that the animal just found its own way into the building.
It’s been a snake-filled week for international airports: On Tuesday, a Russian airport quarantined 20 live snakes hand-carried by a traveler from Dusseldorf, Germany.
Featured photo from Shutterstock.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees